Saturday, November 8, 2008

Thanks

I just wanted to write a quick note to say thanks for all the support from friends and family. It helps. I was just so down and angry when I wrote that last post. I know that I haven't gotten a chance to call some of you back and I will....I have just been so busy. A quick update.....the aide that said that the kids in the FASP program couldn't go to High School until they were 15 was wrong. Why someone in that position doesn't know what she is talking about is beyond me. You would think they would be better informed because she really freaked me out. She had also told me that they had NO Sp.Ed programs at the high school and that was wrong too(although I already knew that). Some of you asked if what they were doing is legal. Yes, it is. This is why: Resource classes work at a lower grade level(about 5th grade) and sometimes work slower, but Connor has regressed and is working at an even lower grade level(about 3rd grade) than a Resource class is set up to do. They have been modifying the work to meet Connor's needs, but to "show" me he doesn't belong there, they will take away those "further" modifications. Their intent is to point out that he needs to be in a more restrictive enviroment. I don't agree....I just think he needs an extra push and guidence and they don't have the "time or staff and no money in their budget to find someone" to do so. I am still deciding what to do, but I feel much calmer now and am looking at ALL my options. Right now, I am looking into the option of home schooling. It would be a BIG undertaking, but I can do just as good a job, if not better, than this system that I am stuck with. I know some of you won't approve of that,but I am not looking into it lightly. Anyhow, there's the latest. Thanks again for the support, advice and prayers.

2 comments:

Brian and Beth said...

Home-schooling may not be for every parent or every child. But for me, I LOVED HOME-SCHOOL! I loved having the kids around me all day & I hate that they are gone now. I'm sure you'll do what is best for Connor. I know for sure you could do a better job than his current school. YOU ARE A GREAT MOM, ALICE!!!!!! Beth

Angela said...

I would never want to home school. It is not my thing at all!

But in your case, Alicegirl, oh my gosh! It sounds perfect. You have the other kids in school, you could devote alot of time to him. It really makes sense. He needs one on one services and id tehy won;t give it to him, who better that you?